Long Form | Section 02
“Grasp The Sparrow’s Tail” Roll Back, Press Forward, Retreat & Push Hands Forward
(Lu, An, Chi, Tui-so) (Similar to Lesson #3 & #4 in Section 1)
Notes: Both hips move equally back and forth with the hand movements. Keep your chest hollow. Do not let your upper part of your body move back and forth with the hips. When shifting into the back position, your center of gravity will be about 70/30%. When shifting forward your center of gravity will be at about 80-90/10 position.
- (Roll Back) Raise the right arm parallel to the left arm. Softly flip the left palm up then bring the left hand to your waist. Slowly draw both hips back and turn the hips slightly to the left.
- (Press) Square the hips and set the hands together with the left palm pressing the right palm. Shift your center of gravity forward. [Mini Pause]
- (Retreat) Equally separate the hands apart at shoulders width and shoulders height. Set the hips equally back again and float the hands down toward the hips [Mini Pause]
- (Push) Place the hands in front of your chest and shift your body forward 80-90% forward. [Pause]
- (Grasp The Sparrow’s Tail) Place the left hand under the right elbow. Set both hips further back and turn the right foot far inward (pigeon toed transition) then move your body with both hands 360° counter clockwise full circle with the hips. Shift your center of gravity as needed from left to the right hip & leg. On your way around, the left hand will slightly drop to the beltline cross your stomach to your right hip while the right hand is moving and floating above the left hand. Complete the 360° counter turn clockwise with both hands at the beltline pressing down facing the southeast direction. Note that the right hand will settle 10”-12” inches apart. Your body and weight should be 99.9% on the right leg. [Pause]